3 pounds boneless beef chuck, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
6 tablespoons olive oil
1 large yellow onion, cut into 1/2-inch squares (about 1 cup)
4 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch squares (about 2 cups)
4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced or grated on a Microplane
1 cup Screamin’ Onionz, Mild
1 tablespoon dried thyme
1 cup crushed tomatoes – we use Tuttorosso with Basil
4 cups beef broth
2 large potatoes, peeled and cut into ½ inch squares. Yukon Gold work well.
Fresh chopped parsley, for serving (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 325°F and place your rack in the second from the bottom position.
2. Pat the beef dry and season with the salt and pepper. In a large Dutch oven, set on medium-high heat, place 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Add 1/3 of meat, brown on all sides and place in a large bowl when done. Brown the other 2 batches of meat adding 1 tablespoon of oil before each batch.
3. Add 1 tablespoon of oil to the empty Dutch oven then add the onions and carrots. Stir constantly, picking up all the brown bits from the bottom of the pan. The moisture from the onions will help to release the bits and incorporate that flavor into the stew. Stir for 8-10 minutes or until the onions soften.
4. Make a circular clearing in the bottom of the pan and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add minced garlic and stir for 1 minute.
5. Add Screamin’ Onionz into the garlic and stir together for 1 minute. Stir the Onionz/garlic mixture into the sautéed carrots and onions until fully incorporated.
6. Add thyme and stir until fully incorporated.
7. Add the following, one at a time, stirring until fully incorporated: crushed tomatoes, potatoes, beef stock, sauteed beef and juices.
8. Place cover on Dutch oven and put in preheated 325°F oven for 2 ½ hours.
9. Check the stew at the 1 ½ and 2-hour intervals to see how the veggies are absorbing the moisture and how the meat is getting tender.
10. If you’d like, you can prepare a day in advance, let the stew cool down and refrigerate until you serve the next day.